Monday, September 7, 2020

Bright Trike

Picked up a bright orange ball at the store ("blind bag" type toys called Dino Strike) and it hatched a bright orange Triceratops. Some assembly required.

It's pretty cute, and in terms of anatomy it gets points for not suffering from a case of elephant feet like the JWFK mini included for scale here and many quadrupedal dinosaur depictions in general. Why reconstructing these guys with limbs modeled after big mammals might be inaccurate probably becomes pretty clear when, instead of focusing on that they're big and quadrupedal herbivores, one remembers that a) out of all extant animals, they're most closely related to birds, and that b) the early ceratopsians that late Cretaceous giants like Triceratops evolved from were bipedal. (It has a wrong number of toes - should be three on front limbs and four on hind limbs - so not completely accurate either, but good effort.)

It had a bunch of Dino Riders-esque gear with it that I didn't put on it, but the projectile launching mechanism on that works well and I'm sure it would be fun to play with.

I think I'll give it some paint later.

No comments: