Same hat scientific inaccuracies! Same scientific inaccuracies!
I decided the eyes aren't so big I can't live with that. Something I considered was cutting off the protrusions from the "K2" part (as labeled in the instructions below) that are supposed to make the eyes, fill up the socket with epoxy putty, and sculpt smaller eyes onto that. If I was more confident in my skill at using that medium I might try that, but it doesn't feel necessary enough to risk breaking this thing before I get to see how it would turn out. Maybe if I get another one.
How to make dinosaurs and play god.
The kit comes with stickers for the inside of the mouth and the eyes, but I preferred to paint them.
Deeper red at the back to match the tongue that I'm not painting.
A skull with pupilless eyes, I suppose. Let's see if I manage to make the eyes a bit smaller with just some eyeliner. The placement may be off, but I can fix that later.
I also gave a partial first coat of paint to the face parts, so the lips and around the eye already have a surface that paint will stick to better than to the bare plastic. I'll paint the rest after putting it together, but the first coat can be messy to apply, and I don't want to stain the teeth and eyes. I don't want to get too much paint in the seams at this stage, though, so the parts still fit together.
Testing the paints to see what combination both covers the green best and results in the shade I want.
Expert consultants at work.
One arm, as requested! Also note the pretty box in the background, with an appropriately suspicious expression at their bodyparts being carried around.
I managed to break two of the finger claws trying to attach them. I was going to just set that arm aside to glue the claws on later, but turns out this mishap was anticipated, and the set includes doubles for all the forelimb parts!
And there's my progress so far. The head is put together and attached to the neck, and the arms are done, all three ready to attach to the torso.The head's middle seam isn't quite 100% closed, though, and won't close more than that. I suppose if that was going to be an issue, it would be there, since the head has so many parts inside. I should be able to close that with putty and/or paint.
The paint on the inside of the mouth doesn't show much, but it does enough that I'm glad I put some colour there, and the pink gums that wouldn't have been included in the sticker show whenever the mouth is even slightly open.
So far the proportions seem fine. I think this'll make a nice Whirlwind eventually.














No comments:
Post a Comment