Thursday, January 2, 2025

Calls back and forth

More bad birds.
Fight and flight, huh?
Third try!
The game has been a good combination of new things and callbacks so far, like adding a Torizo fight to reference Super Metroid, but giving it a flying second phase, too.

Also I really liked the game going greyscale for a moment as I collected the Varia Suit a little while back. The original Metroid 2 was a GameBoy game, and therefore monochrome in its original release, so the Varia Suit couldn't be a palette swap of the basic suit like in the first game and needed to be visually distinct in a different way, which is the origin of the big round shoulder armor that ended up becoming an iconic feature of Samus's design. (Much like how the Morph Ball is a result of NES graphics not allowing for a good crawling animation, but now turning into and rolling around as a ball is a staple of Samus's powerups even in 3D HD modern games, or the name of the more protective Varia Suit being a mistranslation of the Japanese spelling of the already English word "barrier", which stuck around because, yeah, "Varia" is much cooler actually.)

(Yes, I already have the Super Missiles at this point. I forgot where this was and went ahead to the rest of the industrial complex first. Should probably have come here to collect the Space Jump before that, because that one Shinespark puzzle where I needed to climb back up onto a high platform every time I messed up kicked my ass harder than this guy ended up doing. I did pull it off, though!)
Meanwhile, the metroids are getting bigger...
And the caves even darker.

No comments: