Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Trio nestorations

I finally managed to catch a glimpse of the trio eagles on the livestream. The excitement of the day was:

Valor 1 taking five minutes to arrange and rearrange a single stick so it's just right (Valor 2, who just flew in with a talonful of grass fluff, is next to him, Starr on the branch behind them. She looks deceptively small with the distance, so I wasn't sure who was who until she got down - Starr is the biggest of the three, like female raptors generally are, and V1 is the smallest.)

Starr moving a big stick while all three are on the nest. I think the Valors mostly just stayed out of her way on that one, she's got this.

Some beaking from Starr to both, and between the two males (Starr on the left nipping at V2's beak here, V1 got up on the branch after getting plenty of that from both). The beak nips, which have also been seen between Jackie and Shadow of the Big Bear nest earlier in their nesting season, look pretty aggressive sometimes, but as I've understood this is courtship behavior for the species.

After Starr flew away, the Valors perched together for a long time, before also leaving one by one.


No comments: