Sunday, February 9, 2020

Just going and making a new dinosaur

As the JW raptor pack residing in my bookcase (or raptor case, they got a new one all to themselves) has been getting up to date with the comics I draw of them, one member of the family is still stuck at being represented by the small and featherless figure the character has since outgrown.

Skye was originally inspired by my Blue mini figure, and the whole AU she's part of was largely inspired by how well that mini figure fits on the Indoraptor figure's head. I've had trouble finding a figure to customize into her older self, though, so I thought I'd try my hand at just making one from scratch.

I'm using bakeable polymer clay for most of the figure, and probably adding things with epoxy putty when I'm done with the baking. I barely know what I'm doing, but let's see what comes out of that anyway.

So far, a wire armature, made of lots of trial and error, some aluminum wire, and aluminum foil and masking tape as filler. The spine and legs are 2mm thick wire, and there's a loop of 1mm thick wire as the outline of the underside of the torso under the foil and wrapped around the hip joint to secure the legs (which are both one piece of wire).

No comments: