Sunday, January 24, 2021

More of the SWFL eagle twins

Screenshots of the two eaglets who hatched yesterday at SWFL eagle cam.

Dad is with them at the moment. There's no food at the nest right now, but it looks like the chicks are eager to eat once it arrives. The last of the yolk from the egg is still inside them as food, so there's not too much hurry with that, and they can take their time strengthening their neck muscles enough to be able to hold their head up first.

I'll just say right now that I probably won't be able to tell them apart all season. That's okay, they're both cute.

Simultaneous gravity test.
Staying still for long enough for a bit sharper screenshot.
A bit of sibling rivalry, too. They are eagles, after all, and that's normal. At this young they also can't see well, and instinctually peck at anything lingering right in front of their beak for too long in case it's food.

They both fell over while beak-wrestling.
Play time over, back to brooding. The parents apparently switched again while the camera was focused on the eaglets, so this is mom.

Dad comes back with a squirrel. He tries to feed the eaglets, but they're still both so unstable I don't think either one managed to grab a bite yet. The second feeding attempt later turned out a bit more successful.

Come on, now you're not even facing the right way. You can't eat with your butt, kids!

Welp, there's gravity again!
Birb belly button!
I think the one at the front is E17? Smaller egg tooth on the beak, if not by much, meaning it's had a bit more time to wear off. But I could be wrong.
 

No comments: