Monday, March 16, 2020

The bigger step that's eyes

 I used the end of a plastic straw (not the one I've cut into a feather stamp) as a cookie cutter to make a slit pupil out of black clay, and mixed red and yellow clay into an orange to accompany the yellow on the iris. Then I did my best to follow this cat eye toturial, so I made the colours into thin sheets to wrap around the pupil.

 This is what I got with all layers added. The clay directly around the pupil that looks white when raw and light green after baking is glow-in-the-dark clay!

One layer in the middle is made of little snakes of clay to make little stripes. Here's a side view of when I'd just added that.

I rolled the eye into a small cane, and before cutting slices from it I placed it on a piece of also unbaked clay to have a softer surface under it (I cut through both the cane and the clay under it), and kept it in the fridge for a while to cool it. I didn't have a terribly thin or sharp blade to use, so I did my best to not have the slices come out squished.

And they came out only a little wonky! \o/ I tweaked the best three pairs a bit, to have a few to choose from, and then baked them. I didn't make a cornea for the eye like the tutorial instructs to do using UV resin, because I wasn't sure how to do so with the materials I have. Supposedly liquid clay would work like the resin in the tutorial, but it came out too cloudy for my tastes when I tried. They don't look bad flat, though.

After (carefully!) trimming the eye and eye socket a bit with a box cutter so they fit, I started attaching the eyes to the head. I ended up cutting off the brow archs I'd made. I'd thought they'd make inserting the eyes easier, but the figure is really small, and it was better to have less material in the way.

And then I built and shaped eyelids and new brows around the eye, with liquid clay between baked and unbaked clay again to attach it. I mostly used a grey I mixed from black and the light grey clay I use on most of the figure, so that when I paint the figure it should be easier not to mess up the eye while working around it.

Tools are mostly the same I've been using so far. A bit more drawing with a darning needle that had a sharp but broad end, to define the feather texture more.

Then I baked the head, and the eyes are attached!

No comments: