Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Neighbors!

Update: it wasn't nothing.

"Hi! :D"

--

This screenshot is the result of a bit of an experiment, which involved camping in capture mode without moving the camera. Even though in sandbox I can turn dinosaur fights off, they still get scared of bigger carnivores being very near, apparently including ones in adjacent enclosures (hmm, maybe I should check in on those herbivores at the Cretaceous Cruise enclosure and see if they mind the spinosaurids next door), meaning that having the Velociraptors just chilling next to the fence with the Indoraptor on the other side wasn't going to happen, so I waited for each of them to wander near the fence at different times, and combined the two screenshots to look like they're interacting.

A lot of effort for one image? Perhaps, but I wanted to see if I can do it. The last screenshot in the previous post was a stroke of luck, with Indo happening to get really close to the fence with Blue still at the pond, and I got a screenshot just before she turned to leave. (And since it was just Blue still visible in frame, I put her in this part of the enclosure by herself for a while to take this screenshot, to make sure it's her near the fence and it at least somewhat looks like this is right after). I had my laptop to do other things with while I waited for the AI to cooperate, and also since this is a sandbox park I don't have to worry about feeders emptying and other dinos starving while I play raptor paparazzi.

Anyway, this was a fun challenge, and I'm quite happy with how the picture turned out.

--

Later that day, with the Velociraptors' neighbors on the other side of their enclosure (though I guess the AI doesn't have the raptors freak out about that since they don't share a fence). No reason to assume they don't already know about each other, too:
"Are you chatting with the tiny ones? What's the news?"

"They say one of them found a new raptor, kind of like us but smaller, though not as tiny as them. They're going to see if they can meet him again tonight if the humans aren't paying attention."

"See, they are smart after all. I keep telling them not to let their humans know about everything they do, no matter how much they like the two that raised them. I wonder how long it'll take for the humans to even notice that we're regularly talking with the tiny ones and not just coincidentally making noise at the same time."

"You think the humans don't know that the tiny ones know about this new guy? They seem to know about so many things they shouldn't."

"Well, in case they don't, no reason to let them find out and maybe take him somewhere else if they don't want them talking, before the girls have even found out if he's fun to have around. Tell them to let us know how it went. Oh, and to ask if he can hear us over there and understand us. Maybe we can talk with him, too."

"Yeah, would be great for you to have someone to tell your jokes to that hasn't already heard every single one of them twice."

"First of all, fuck you, my jokes are so funny they deserve reruns. Second, tell the tiny ones not to tell the new guy any of my jokes, they need my unmatched comedic timing to come out right."

"Hey, my sister says tell the new guy the joke where a bird, a dinosaur, and a fish walks into a bar! :D"

"Nooo! That's my best one!"

No comments: