Monday, June 21, 2021

Thieving and other raptor activities

(Warning for again some peeks at raptor prey)

Satakunta Ospreys, nest #3. Baby N2 is so big already! Even bigger today, as this screenshot is from two days ago.

Looking around with mom.
It's been really hot the past few days, so the birds are panting pretty much throughout the day to cool themselves.

Juicy fish and the camera's shadow help a bit.
N2 moving a stick.
Blep.
Nuppu (left), Ahti, and their little Velociraptor.

The nest #1 osplets last night. I believe it's A2, A3, and A1 from left to right.

Sleepy cuddles.
And today. See what I mean about osplets looking perpetually offended? A2 on the left at the front with A1, and A3 still eating in the background, I think. Getting harder to tell apart.

The last I checked, the Cornell Red-tailed hawk chicks haven't fledged yet, but it could be any day now. Here's K1 and K2 yesterday morning.

K3 visiting the fledge ledge.
And K1 visits one of the crossbars on the metal rail. K3 paying close attention in the background.

Hop!
And sticks the landing. Good job!
All three. K3 closest to camera and K1 farthest, K2 in the middle.
Dad Arthur brings prey, and K1 rushes to mantle it. K3 watching in the foreground.
K2 walks over, too, as K1 tries to figure out where exactly they put the prey under those wings.
"Could have sworn it was right here..."
Distracted by something for a moment.
Yoink!

No comments: