All three have gotten their light underbelly colour, including Treeclimber, whose bright white underbelly is painted over more precisely and with a white mixed with burnt umber. He's also gotten his mouth tidied up, with teeth painted a yellowish white.
Next I'll paint the orange parts of Treeclimber oranger, and see whether I should start with the stripes or the base colour for the girls. It might be a bit of both, as Swiftdive is supposed to have a slight yellow tint, while Leader's stripes are more clearly purple-brown, so I might paint the stripes first for Leader and add the yellower raw sienna base colour around them, while the base colour showing through the stripes is not a problem with Swiftdive. I didn't paint the final base colour under the purple-brown markings on Whirlwind, either, and that worked out well, though with her I started with the base colour, as her bigger and simpler markings were easier to leave blank.
I think the colour of the plastic showing through some on the model kit raptors actually helps with achieving that difference in tint. I'm glad the models are both the same colour, too, as I think they're painted the other way around on the cover of the box. This colour works as a starting point regardless of the raptor's gender.
It's getting kind of difficult to have enough light for painting. It's so dark outside this time of the year even for the short time the sun is up, so most days windows are basically no help. I'm doing my best with desk lamps, but especially when painting small details, the shadow of my hand and brush or some part of the figure get in the way of seeing what I'm doing. This hobby is a lot easier in the summer.





No comments:
Post a Comment