Friday, July 29, 2022

Not a dull moment with these guys

Screenshots from nest#4 of Sääksilive Osprey nests, which has had a rather dramatic afternoon today.

Older chick Una feeling the wind under her wings at the edge of the nest...

...and then fledging! Younger chick Jouko seems startled and does some wing flapping of his own.

Alone at the nest for the first time in his life.
Una returns to the nest, finding their mother Nuppu there with Jouko. She doesn't get a warm welcome, though.
Nuppu's behavior following Una's fledge has been rather strange, and upsetting to many viewers, as she gave both of her chicks quite the beating, and especially Una upon her return, and hasn't really seemed to relax since, the chicks being careful not to make any sudden moves that she might perceive as provocation.

It was definitely unpleasant to see, but I'll remind myself I'm here to observe and not to judge. Whatever the reason for Nuppu's behavior, even if it's something that doesn't make sense to humans, animals will be animals. A wildlife camera is not a reliable source of unproblematic cuteness, and shouldn't be treated as such, nor the animals as characters in a TV show despite having names and numerous viewers. So with that in mind,

From what I can tell, the fledge coincided with an intruder alert. Perhaps that confused Nuppu about which ospreys are supposed to be at her nest and which are not? I can only speculate, and I'm hardly an expert, but that's one guess. In any case, an interesting insight into the bizarreness of bird life.

No comments: