Friday, May 10, 2019

Jurassic World raptor attack in the forest recap

Originally posted to tumblr on October 13 2018. Reposted here for archiving of posts I want to keep.

I got distracted from drawing raptors by going to check a thing about raptors. So after this latest being a parody of myself, I thought I’d share the thing I checked about raptors in case someone else finds it worthwhile information.

The scene is dark and the night vision cameras are monochromatic, so it’s hard to make out which raptor does what, and I wanted to find out. I did find out (I’ll spare you the visuals, tw for gory if not terribly graphic descriptions):

  • The first raptor to attack an InGen trooper is Delta, seen from her victim’s camera. I identified her by the raptor not having Blue’s or Charlie’s more distinctive markings, or Echo’s misaligned jaw. She’s also missing a few teeth in the same places Delta is (upper left, and lower right near the front. I hadn’t noticed that before, but I did see it now going back to a few scenes where I know the raptor whose teeth I’m scrutinizing is Delta).
  • Next we see a shot from Echo’s camera with her running towards a human, but Charlie beats her to it.
  • The humans begin firing at the raptors and in their general direction. A raptor I can't identify with certainty (but since Delta and Charlie are busy, I’m guessing it’s Echo) is shown running away from the gunfire.
  • One of the humans' cameras shows the fleeing raptor running directly away from him as he shoots. Still on his camera, another raptor jumps at him from the side, landing a couple of bites somewhere around his head before the camera breaks. A few frames with the raptor’s flank in view show the attacking raptor is clearly Blue.
  • Then Delta’s camera shows another raptor attacking a human from a group of three in front of her. This one is a bit further away so it’s hard to tell which raptor it is, but considering everybody else is probably busy already making a kill at the moment, I think it’s Echo finally getting her teeth in some prey.
  • Soon after that, still on her camera, Delta attacks one of the other humans who were with Echo’s victim.
  • Delta’s kill is then immediately shown also from the camera of the third human, and right after, that human is tackled by a raptor, too, and dragged away while he struggles in vain to be let go.
  • I think the raptor dragging him is Echo, who just turned around after oneshotting her previous victim. Her tail appears striped, but not as distinctly as Charlie’s would be. On the control room screen Echo’s video feed is a bit hard to make out as Hoskins stands in front of it for most of the shot, but she is moving through the undergrowth and I can’t see a human in front of her that she would be chasing.
  • The raptors’ headsets’ camera feed is divided into four sections on the control room screen, with Blue in the top left corner, Delta in top right, Echo in bottom left, and Charlie in bottom right. (In left-to-right order of reading it’s arranged by their ages oldest to youngest.)
  • Delta in that shot seems to be about to bite the face off the human she has pinned to the ground. Blue and Charlie are each chasing someone. One of their targets’ video feed is shown under that of the guy Echo is dragging (I think Blue’s, but I’m not sure).
  • Right after this Owen comes across Charlie eating someone in the long grass, so it looks like she caught whom she was chasing.

No comments: