Originally posted to tumblr on July 9th 2018. Reposted here for archiving of posts I want to keep.
I’m so happy that the T. rex in the Jurassic World movies is the same as the one in the first Jurassic Park movie, because honestly I always loved her the most (though Dr. Sattler is a good runner-up for reasons decades later understood to be gay ones). It’s nice to know we’ve both made it into our thirties.
But also every time I think about the fact that she’s the same T. rex, I’m reminded of something else great.
When my siblings and I were very small around the time JP came out, we made an audio play with the premise of our own characters dealing with dinosaurs escaping from the park, because of course we did. (We made so many audio plays. We wanted to make stories, but writing takes patience and some of us couldn’t even read yet, and blank c-cassettes were cheap.) So at one point, picture tense background music, dramatic night setting, a character comes in and says they think they just saw a T. rex walking around out there! And uh-oh, they’re not that far from that new tourist attraction, Jurassic Park (which is not on a remote island in this version, obviously). There’s a T. rex in that place, isn’t there? Maybe something’s gone wrong there, and it’s run away! And then, followed one of my favorite lines of dialogue in anything I’ve ever worked on:
…What an excellent point. You’re right, maybe we should go ask around the neighbourhood if anyone’s missing a T. rex before making any assumptions.
But what makes it my favorite is that instead the scene just continued with the same level of seriousness and suspense following this obviously reasonable question, and it isn’t until after we listened to the play like ten years later that we found things like this about it hilarious and memorable. We’d just made it in a way that at that age made sense to us and made us happy to make. That’s so great! I’m so glad there was no one to make fun of it back when we we’d just made it, because laughing at a kid’s creation they’re proud of and serious about should basically be a crime. But, the kids who made it are us as kids, so I do laugh at it, so very much.
Like, what are the chances, after all. Of all the world’s many T. rexes.
I’m so happy that the T. rex in the Jurassic World movies is the same as the one in the first Jurassic Park movie, because honestly I always loved her the most (though Dr. Sattler is a good runner-up for reasons decades later understood to be gay ones). It’s nice to know we’ve both made it into our thirties.
But also every time I think about the fact that she’s the same T. rex, I’m reminded of something else great.
When my siblings and I were very small around the time JP came out, we made an audio play with the premise of our own characters dealing with dinosaurs escaping from the park, because of course we did. (We made so many audio plays. We wanted to make stories, but writing takes patience and some of us couldn’t even read yet, and blank c-cassettes were cheap.) So at one point, picture tense background music, dramatic night setting, a character comes in and says they think they just saw a T. rex walking around out there! And uh-oh, they’re not that far from that new tourist attraction, Jurassic Park (which is not on a remote island in this version, obviously). There’s a T. rex in that place, isn’t there? Maybe something’s gone wrong there, and it’s run away! And then, followed one of my favorite lines of dialogue in anything I’ve ever worked on:
“But are you sure it’s the same T. rex?”
…What an excellent point. You’re right, maybe we should go ask around the neighbourhood if anyone’s missing a T. rex before making any assumptions.
But what makes it my favorite is that instead the scene just continued with the same level of seriousness and suspense following this obviously reasonable question, and it isn’t until after we listened to the play like ten years later that we found things like this about it hilarious and memorable. We’d just made it in a way that at that age made sense to us and made us happy to make. That’s so great! I’m so glad there was no one to make fun of it back when we we’d just made it, because laughing at a kid’s creation they’re proud of and serious about should basically be a crime. But, the kids who made it are us as kids, so I do laugh at it, so very much.
Like, what are the chances, after all. Of all the world’s many T. rexes.
No comments:
Post a Comment