Thursday, May 9, 2019

My cat asked me to build her a pillow fort

Originally posted to tumblr on December 15 2016. Reposted here for archiving of posts I want to keep.

I sometimes take for granted that I can tell when my cat wants something and what she wants (food is always a good guess), like she meows in front of a door so she probably wants me to open that door for her etc. But sometimes I stop to think about how glad I am that we can communicate despite being different species, and that I can do things for her that make her happy.

Today I was doing something near the bed, and saw her sticking her head under the comforter but not burrowing under it, then looking at me expectantly. And I realized, she wants me to make her a pillow fort. Which I sometimes do, to give her a place to hide in, and some variety as I don’t build one every day lest she get used to it and it stops being new and interesting when it happens. It’s just 3 couch cushions for walls arranged around her blanket with the comforter on top. She loves it, but it’s always been a surprise when she gets one, this time she asked. So I quickly put one together as she watched, and then she immediately crawled in there and curled up for a nap, confirming I read her request correctly.

I just. My cat asked me to build her a pillow fort. I’m so happy.

No comments: