Wednesday, June 8, 2022

A fledge and a hatch

Screenshots from two of the raptor nestcams I follow. Warning for occasional views of prey.

One of the chicks at the Cornell Red-tailed hawk nest fledged this morning! Which one it was isn't entirely clear - either L1 or L2 - but here's the soon-to-be-fledgling just before the fledge, with youngest chick L4 on the right.

And the fledge!
A safe landing and some searching later, there you are!

Last I checked the fledgling is still exploring the rooftops. Stay safe, and have fun! Proud of you!

Meanwhile at the nest, the chick that's either L1 or L2 that didn't fledge yet explores the top of the light box next to the nest. Good job, and if this is L2, congratulations on first branching!

My guess is that the fledgling is L1. Here's a screenshot I took (cropped from full screen, but I added the timestamp) of the chick still at the nest, and the forehead and chest patterns say L2 to me. But I could be wrong, and either way, glad the babies are growing up!




At nest#4 of Sääksilive Osprey nests, Nuppu and Niilo's second chick hatched today. Here's mom Nuppu two days ago with the oldest and at the time only chick, N1.

Supper for N1. Going a lot more smoothly now.
Dad Niilo with N1 this morning.
Both parents (Nuppu left/front), and pip on the second egg clearly visible next to N1.

Dad and chicks. N2 is halfway out of the shell!
N2 rests after hatching, while mom feeds N1.
Another feeding, with N2 looking a lot more alert. N1 still got all the food as far as I could tell, but N2 can take its time strengthening its neck muscles, it should still have the last of the yolk from the egg inside it as food. But I see we have learned to scream. Or squeak.

Scream at dad.

No comments: