As usual for this nest, warning for closeups of bloody prey.
There they are. L1 left, L2 right.
Little one is still doing more looking around and getting used to being outside the egg than eating. L2 likely still has yolk from the egg nourishing it and there's no rush with the food.
First tug-o-prey! I think neither got it, they dropped it and mom just ate it herself.
First tug-o-prey! I think neither got it, they dropped it and mom just ate it herself.
Let's tuck you in again.
Cuties. Got to admit, the adorable baby birds and the gory carcasses do
make for an interesting visual contrast. The birth amidst death is one
reason I find raptor (and carnivore in general) nesting so fascinating
in the first place, but this nest makes ignoring the latter completely
impossible if one is to enjoy watching the former - even when zoomed in
this close there's a dismembered prey in frame. Doesn't result in many
baby pictures to share without a bunch of content warnings, but I don't
think that's a bad thing at all. This is a peek into their world, and as
far as the raptors are concerned, these chicks are surrounded by a delicious feast and
reassurance of not having to go hungry.
Four beaks in view!













No comments:
Post a Comment