The fourth chick L4 finally hatched last night at the Cornell Red-tailed hawk nest. While I wait for morning to reach their timezone so I can see the new baby, here's screenshots of the older three babies from the days leading up to the hatching. Warning for closeups of bloody prey.
I think that's L3 in the background getting a feeding, L1 and L2 in the foreground being sleepy.
Food coma.
BR gets up for a stretch and a break, and dad Arthur comes to the nest to brood the chicks in the meanwhile.The chicks have spread out all over the nest cup in the time they've been uncovered, but he manages to herd them all under him.
All safely tucked in.
Chicks interacting. Getting to know each other and learning better coordination of movement by bickering among themselves. L1 especially gives the younger siblings beak bonks, but they're all babies, and not very strong or capable of doing harm. Raptors being raptors.
BR preening herself.







































No comments:
Post a Comment